Talent Honoured at Mid West Sports Awards
The Mid West Sports Awards was hosted by Glenn Mitchell and to no one's surprise, Glenn lived up to his reputation of providing great entertainment and humour.
The award winners were:
- Geraldton women's Surf Rowing crew - Geraldton Greenough Financial Services Team of the Year
- Chris Kerr and the Geraldton Triathlon Club - Access to Leisure and Sport Inclusion Award
- Jack Martin, Football - Sports Power Junior Aboriginal Sports Star of the Year
- Zoe Filgate, Small Bore Rifle - Karara Mining Ltd Junior Sports Star of the Year
- Jane Cooper, Polocrosse - Crothers family Senior Sports Star of the Year
- Josh Bowen, Football, Hockey, Tennis and Cricket - Geraldton Guardian Local Achiever's Award
- Ryan White, Basketball - Ian Blayney MLA Official of the Year
- Norm Jupp, Cricket - Young Motors Administrator of the Year
- Frank Polese - Ray White Geraldton Brian "Putter" Smith Sports Personality of the Year
- Willow Williamson, Surf Boats - Sportfirst Coach of the Year
Each award category was strongly contested with a great depth of sporting achievers. The MWAS will provide essential services to support and develop talented athletes, coaches, officials and administrators.
Chris Darlington, Development manager of the MWAS addressed the audience and provided an update regarding the establishment of the MWAS. Darlington acknowledged the support of the project partners and also stated that the establishment phase will study the financial viability of the MWAS and that it will be essential for businesses operating within the Mid West to partner with the MWAS in order for the project to progress to the "Operational phase" in 2014. Darlington showed significant optimism and discussed that the MWAS will be very well positioned to provide excellent benefits to corporate partners.
Organisations wishing to receive more information about the benefits of partnering with the MWAS and the impact that the academy will provide to the community of the Mid West, should contact Chris Darlington.